[Mg-mmm] PA Engine Noise

Daniel Shockey magnut_dan at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 13:12:48 MDT 2010

Hello,

I rebuilt my PA engine about 2000 miles ago. After driving it to the GoF
Central in Auburn, IN, in 2008, it started making more noise from the engine.
As it got louder, it began to sound like a "worn-out coffee grinder," with
noise from the front of the engine. Lew said that means an alignment issue
with the generator/camshaft drive. I haven't driven it since the GoF except a
little around town. Now it sounds more like a knock inside the valve cover. It
doesn't seem to run any worse and starts easily.

When I rotate the engine using the hand crank, I get binding at one spot in
the camshaft rotation (every 2nd crankshaft rotation). The flex drive stops
then jumps as I slowly rotate the hand crank. It worked very smoothly when I
first rebuilt the motor. I checked that carefully before starting it.

Do I have an alignment issue with the generator drive or perhaps some binding
in the camshaft or camshaft drive? Why would it have gotten worse since I
rebuilt the engine?

Any ideas or suggestions on other tests before I start dismantling things? I
need to have it running well for the GoF in Ohio on July 1.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Shockey
Wyoming, Illinois
PA2108