[Mg-mmm] J2 Bell Housing located

Bill Traill bill at clovermachine.com
Fri Jan 1 17:34:06 MST 2016

My request for a J2 engine bell housing resulted in two replies and
three available. The first reply was from a local MG-MMM member
(California) and was on it's way to me in a few hours!

We do not have much chatter on our MG-MMM board, so I will add a
little of where I am at on J2 #3343 I have owned since 1971. I have a
TC since 1967 (my first drivers test car) and a '67 B/GT since 1970.

I waited far too long to (re-start to) finish my J2; it was always
next year's project. The engine had been rebuilt just before the car
was purchased and soon dismantled for restoration by the prior owner
~1968. I knew the engine  had been poorly done but not until I dug
into it did I discover it was a real 'lasquad' job..loose and sloppy,
quick and dirty.

Finally, last summer I built a line-boring fixture to machine the cam
shaft bearings and then thought I would have the rest of the engine
finished in a couple months. Too many missing parts (my fault in 40
years of storage), and many parts not restorable resulting in several
orders to England. A couple items to make, a few to modify and
fixtures to be built and studying all the literature on MMM engines I
could find....Maybe this month the engine will be ready

Today, finished the dynamo and performed the test whereby the
dynamo is shunted to become an electric motor off a 12V
battery...passed per Terry Andrews article in 1997 MMM Yearbook.

I am now assisting on another J2 engine rebuild a few miles away.

All the Best in the New Year to all.

Bill Traill
bill at clovermachine.com
Santa Clara, California.