[Mg-t] Original paint

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Thu Sep 4 09:34:22 MDT 2008

Charlie,
   How nice to find a car with original paint.
   Yes, some of the cars had different paints.  On some, the the wings
were painted with enamel because it was more chip-resistant, and the
bonnet, body sides, doors, etc were done in "cellulose enamel",  which
Americans call lacquer.   Chip Olds wrote about this somewhere in the
T-Series Handbook.  I do not know which colors were done in two paints;
not all were.
   My dad polished right through the cellulose enamel with his favorite
Dupont #7, which said on the can "safe for enamels".  He learned, sadly,
that "enamel" meant different things on different shores of the Atlantic.
Bob