[Mg-t] Gearbox jumping out

Douglas Ormrod Douglas.Ormrod at neurological.org.nz
Wed Apr 15 20:39:31 MDT 2009

Hi T people

Nice to see y'all are still alive out there.

In New Zealand the nights are drawing in, the leaves are falling and I
have decided it is time to do something about my 51 TD gearbox over the
winter.

Since I recommissioned the car after a ground up 2 years ago it has
jumped out of third gear when changing down (most times). It stays in
going up through the gears if you keep the power on - but lift your foot
in third and it pops out. I did rebuild the box with all new bearings,
seals, rollers, a new first gear etc. - but obviously missed doing
something I should have done.

What is the most likely cause?

There is a guy in NZ who makes up the modern five speed conversions and
I am half thinking about that, but would probably fix the old box anyway
in case someone wants to return it to original.

Cheers

Douglas