[Mg-t] Broken axle

Mike Eldred redscirocco at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 22 07:27:38 MDT 2009

Douglas,

I had the same situation last year - snapped an axle about 20 yards from my
garage.  Unfortunately, it was 20 uphill yards.

Mine snapped in the same place, leaving an axle stub stuck in the diff.

To answer your question, yes, you can withdraw the other axle and push the
broken bit out.  We were able to do it with a long metal rod.  I almost seem
to remember that we had to bend the end of the rod to accomodate some
obstruction in the diff (I could be wrong, though) Take a look at a diagram of
the diff so you can "see" where the rod has to go and you'll figure it out,
I'm sure.

You won't need a slide hammer, since you'll be pushing the stub out - you can
just bang on the end of the rod with a heavy hammer.  The slide hammer is used
for pulling things, and it sounds like you've already gotten one axle pulled
out, now you just need to pull the other one out the same way.

I wouldn't discount the advice of those who are urging you to rebuild the
diff.  But, that said, I didn't rebuild mine.  I just put a NOS axle in and it
has been fine.  Actually, I put two NOS axles in, since I had both the old
ones out.

I would recommend you ask around about axle quality.  NOS axles and the
specially made, new, competition axles that some people are offering on ebay
and the like are my personal recommendation (based on no expert qualification
of my own).

I have been warned-off new axles that are sold commercially, although the last
time I mentioned that on this list, I got a vaguely threatening email from one
of the large commercial suppliers, along with specifications for their axles
indicating that they were of more than adequate quality.  So take it for what
it's worth.  They're probably fine.  I didn't want to take the chance.

The only other thing I'd mention, although I'm sure I don't have to, is to
replace both outer bearings and the seals while you're at it.  They're so
cheap it's not worth re-using the old ones.

I can find the contact information for the guy I got my axles from if you
can't find something more local - at the time he had both NOS and competition
axles available.

Hope this helps.  Keep us posted

Cheers,

-Mike Eldred