[Mg-t] Noisy Start

Stuart Keen simbafish at comcast.net
Sun Dec 12 08:06:52 MST 2010

About 20% of the time, when starting up my TD from cold any time of the
year, I get the sound of gears roughly meshing. Transmission is placed in
neutral (clutch usually depressed fully just to be sure not engaged). Is
this occasional sound normal for a TD?

I am assuming it is the starter engaging the flywheel. If so, why does it
not engage smoothly 100% of the time? This problem happened with my old
starter and also with the new one installed a year ago. The engine and
transmission have been removed several times in the past years and yet the
sound has remained. Teeth of the flywheel appear to be in good shape and
there is no adjustment for the placement of the starter. I do not think it
is the helical spring not disengaging as the sound is there at the very
beginning. The sound goes away a few seconds after the ignition key is
turned ON and the engine turned over.

It is possible that the sound is NOT the starter, just my own conclusion
because it only happens upon ignition. When I park the TD, to eliminate the
"dieseling" I sometime get in the hot Florida climate, I turn OFF the
ignition and bring the engine to rest as I slowly release the clutch while
in 1st gear. Could this be a problem?

I'm anxious to find out if this noisy meshing of gears is normal, and if
not, if it's a problem to be of concern. I am contemplating joining the
Rallye to Reno next June and want to eliminate any foreseeable problems.

Thanks for your insights and suggestions.

Stu Keen
1951 MG TD Mk II