[Mg-t] Brakes not grabbing

Stuart Keen simbafish at comcast.net
Tue Jan 26 08:08:14 MST 2010

The brakes on my 1951 TD do not grab like they use to, and I believe the
rear brakes hang up. Could something have gotten bent by depressing the
brakes too hard, like in a panic?

My problem started back in September while driving to Canada. Looking for a
small country road off of an Interstate in Georgia, when it unexpectedly
appeared, I slammed on the brakes to quickly turned left. From that point
on, the brakes did not grab properly. Also the distance to press the brake
pedal seemed longer now but there was still plenty of brake fluid and there
was no cushioning feeling as if there was air in the line. What happened?
Why was the reach longer? What bent?

Twice on the way north, I  stopped to adjust the brakes. Had some problem
with the front right, the adjuster seemed limited in movement. Once I
returned home, I cleaned the hubs and the brake cylinders of the front
wheels, replaced the front left and right pair of brake shoes as they were a
little thin. Then because of poor braking performance, I also replaced the
master cylinder.  Then bleed the brake system. Drove the car down my street,
pushed HARD on the brakes to set the shoes. Made a U turn, and then when I
accelerated, heard an alarming loud BANG. Thought it was the transmission.
Repeated this several times, and the sound seemed to be coming from the
right rear wheel.

Removed both rear wheels, found them quite dirty and rusty. Removed the
shoes, thoroughly cleaned the hubs and cylinders. The sliding action of the
brake cylinder appeared rather stiff on both wheels. I believe this is what
is hanging up and was releasing with a thunderous BANG. Cleaned away the
rust around the slide area. Even greased this area, and even though the
sliding action was better, it was not really as smooth as I would like but
saw no way to improve. Installed new brake shoes on both wheels. Test drove
the car and again pushed hard on the brakes. The BANG occurred again; so
obviously the problem was not fixed.

It appears that as long as I do not push hard on the brakes as if I am
trying to set the shoes or in an emergency, I'm okay. The Car has not been
driven for several months. Then drove the TD again today. Brakes seemed not
grabbing properly so pushed HARD, thinking perhaps they had never really set
well and were still smooth (though I had roughed up all shoes and hubs with
emery paper before installing). When I accelerated today, there was first a
faint bang from the right rear wheel. Stopped at a light, took off again and
then the left wheel gave several LOUD BANGS. It sounded almost like the bad
meshing of gears, several bangs in succession, but I still do not think it
is the transmission. It only happens when HARD brakes are applied.

What could be wrong with the brake system? What could have bent by
depressing the brakes too hard during a panic? Any help/suggestions would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Stu Keen
1951 MG TD MKII