[Mg-t] Clutch Rod Kaput

John Seim kingseim at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 18 16:47:54 MDT 2010

There is an access panel on the side of the clutch pedal box on a LHD
TD/TF.
Plate held with three 1/4"-26 BSF bolts, and 1 BSF nut.
Remove the plate, remove the cotter pin from the clevis pin, and
withdraw the
clutch rod through the pedal box.

Now then... the adjustable link is for the new supplied clutch rods.
The original clutch
link rods were 13" center to center. Over time, this dimension
somehow reduced to
12 7/8" center to center, or a loss of 1/8". Wear on the clevis pins,
as well as wear at
the ends of the clutch link rod, and the clutch lever holes, can
further reduce engagement
length. The clutch rod stopped being threaded as far down the shaft
as they used to be,
and current suppliers now thread them about 1/4" less than what they
used to be.
Couple that with a surfaced flywheel, resurfaced clutch pressure
plate, and you come
close to a 7/16" loss in adjustment.
Lengthen the clutch link rod to 13 1/2", and the entire clutch
operation should work
fine.

John Seim
Irvine, CA