[Mg-t] Pressurized cooling system?

Dave and Liz DuBois ddubois at sinclair.net
Mon Nov 29 11:05:03 MST 2010

John,

It can, and has been done.  Somewhere in my vast library of clippings
from numerous T series club newsletters, I have an article on making
such a modification.  If you are interested, I can send you a copy.
That said, I agree with Bob, when he asks, "is it needed".  My answer
would be no, it isn't.  As Bob points out the cooling system in the T
series cars has an overly large radiator that doesn't need much external
help.  About the only thing that pressurizing will help with is to
increase the boiling point of the coolant (if I remember correctly, the
boiling point is raised a degree or two for every pound of pressure).
We have been driving out TD for over 25 years, all over the western US
in all kinds of weather and have never had the cooling system boil on
us.  Instead of pressurizing the system, if the time and money is spent
in getting the cooling system in tip top shape (clean radiator and clean
cooling passages in the engine,etc.and using a 25% - 50% solution of
antifreeze) one will have a system that can handle anything that normal
driving can throw at it.  The addition of a coolant recovery system is
the one thing that I added to our TD.  While it doesn't do anything to
prevent boiling, it does make keeping the coolant level where is should
be much easier.  For information on how to install a coolant recovery
system, see the article, Expansion Tanks, Coolant Systems and How the
Cooling System Works in the Other Tech Articles section of my web site
at: http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Cheers,
Dave