[Mg-t] TD losing oil

Stuart Keen simbafish at comcast.net
Thu Jun 23 05:16:02 MDT 2011

My MGTD has recently been losing oil. Basically now getting what the original
Operator's Manual states: about 500 miles to a quart of oil when driving fast.
I usually drive between 60 and 70 mph. But most of the loss appears to happen,
not while driving the car, but when I stop for lunch, rest stop etc. Then
there is a sightly puddle of oil underneath. Last night I verified that the
oil was coming from the cotter pin hole. This makes me suspect I have a rear
crank shaft seal problem. But then why does the oil appear to come out all at
once and not while driving? TD performs perfectly otherwise. Just drove 320
miles to St Augustine, FL. yesterday. Air temp was 91, water temp high was 88,
oil pressure normal at approx 63. Since most of the oil loss appears to be
coming from the cotter pin, I do not think I have oil ring problems. Any
suggestion would be appreciated.

Stuart Keen
1951 MGTD MK II