[Mg-t] Overheating

Charlie Baldwin mgcharlie at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 19:46:41 MST 2011

Stu, It would help everyone to make better comments to know some more of
what you have done already.  Have you had your radiator recored with a
modern core with more tubes?  Have you removed the radiator previously
and had it professionally flushed out and tested?  I seem to recall a
hole inside each of the core plugs in the block that are under the
manifolds that if they are not cleaned out could cause overheating.
Do you run antifreeze or just the water wetter?  Up here in PA, I always
keep antifreeze in my radiators because it gets cold in the winter even
though I do not drive the TD in the winter.  There could always be a
possibility of doing so, though, so I keep antifreeze in all of my
cars.  I have heard that antifreeze makes the water wetter less
effective, but don't know which helps the most.  Water Wetter helps the
transfer of heat, but antifreeze actually raises the boiling point.  It
may be best to do one or the other, whichever does the most to help.
You are correct about the timing; either severely advanced or retarded
could cause it to run hotter, but if it is pretty close which is easy to
do, it should be all right.
Another thought would be to open the slats in the grille a bit.
Sometimes they may get pushed shut or rotated so they do not allow a lot
of airflow.
I wonder if anyone has made a fan shroud for TDs to make sure that the
airflow does not go around the fan.  It may be worth checking that out.
Moss shows one for the MGB, but not the TD.
Keep us informed of what you do and good luck on the trip.
Charlie