[Mg-t] Overheating

John Deikis johnsfolly at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 23:46:48 MST 2011

Stu:
You got some good suggestions already but re-reading your original post, a
couple of comments occurred to me about the Nevada desert. The fan becomes
irrelevant once you are up to speed, but a plastic MGB fan will really help
when you stop at a light after a longer high-speed run. Also, there are at
least two versions of water pumps being sold currently. The one I currently
run has brass (rather than cast iron) impellers and has maybe 6 of them rather
than the 4 on the original pump and on the ones sold by Moss. Finally, my plan
for crossing the worst part of the desert in Nevada is to do that stretch
through the night when it's cold. I remember this is how Hank and Tom Rippert
did it during the Ocean to Ocean.

I've just had my rad boiled out (stock core), have run an oil cooler for years
(has not proven to be very necessary on a street car in Michigan), and am
considering doing the Reno run without the bonnet side panels.

Glad you decided to do the R2R. I plan to join up in Ohio. bring a sleeping
bag...but don't come armed. ;-)

Cheers!

John Deikis
www.kidsCURE.blogspot.com

On Mar 9, 2011, at 10:54 AM, Stuart Keen <simbafish at comcast.net> wrote:

> In the summer heat here in Venice, FL my TD9s water temp usually runs in
the
> 90 - 95 deg C range. I am concerned that the Rallye to Reno might be a
> problem when crossing the Nevada desert. When I drove through the Mojave
> Desert  in October 7 years ago, the air temp in the shade was 110 deg F. It
> caused my water to BOIL. This resulted in putting a hole in #2 piston.
Don9t