[Mg-t] ZDDP

Stuart Keen simbafish at comcast.net
Wed Mar 16 15:06:12 MST 2011

Hi Y9all

I9ve been reading about ZDDP and flat head engines and before I get into
trouble, thought I9d better get some recommendations from the experts..

Some time ago (on this site, I believe) I read that Valvoline VR-1 racing
oil was the recommended oil for TDs because it contained ZDDP. So that9s
what I have been using. But is it enough. I see Moss sells ZDDPlus additive
so made the assumption that perhaps the ZDDP in VR-1 was not sufficient. So
I wrote the manufacturer. Here is their reply:

3Good to hear from you.. I'm not up to speed on the factory recommendation
for Zn and P content of a 1951 MGTD.. I suggest that you ask the engine
rebuilder, or find the original requirement for Zn and P content
 Then you
can choose any oil you like, and add ZddPlus until you get the proper
dosage.

ZDDP is an anti-wear molecule that activates with temperature and pressure.
When activated, the ZDDP molecule creates a "glass-like" barrier that
prevents the metal from touching metal.. When the temp/pressure subsides,
then spent ZDDP simply goes into solution. ZDDP has been around since the
start of WWII
 Most modern engines use roller cams and have no need for
ZDDP
 but a few of us drive flat-tappet vehicles.. and ZDDP is absolutely
required..2

For me that answer was a non-answer. 3Go to the manufacture of the engine2.
Hmmm. Anyway, does anyone have an educated opinion? Should I be adding ZDDP
to VR-1 or just oils which contain no ZDDP. On the Valvoline web site I
found that Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13% of Zinc and .12% of
Phosphorus (ZDDP).

Comments? Thanks

Stu