[Mg-t] TC Tires

Clive Sherriff clive.sherriff at ntlworld.com
Wed May 18 11:13:32 MDT 2011

No one has done scientific comparisons of the various tyres so its all down
to known experience on one hand and a combination of publicity and snake oil
advertising on the other.  Tyres do not work well when oiled.

Blockleys are the current wizz bang "latest iPhone" in the market, based
entirely on publicity and hype though it seems to me.  They do look nice on
1920s and 1930s cars with their old fashioned chunky tread, but sadly such
treads were obsolete by the time of the TA and TB, and even more so when TC
production started after the War.  The tread is not appropriate to the TC
era but ok for more vintage stuff - Js Ps and K3s etc look good with them.
I have seen a number of Blockley tyres that have thrown treads or pieces of
treads though.

In my experience the original, easily available old Dunlop B5 is the best
solution for handling in both dry and wet, and for steering accuracy and
manoeuvring.  I have never worn one out before it was too old to be safe on
the car.  Blockleys being designed as a road/race tyre may need more heat in
them to work well than would be normal for our road tyres.

I've no axe to grind for any make, just personal experience.

Clive
Oxford, UK