[Mg-t] Alternate Starter for TD

PopeyMike at aol.com PopeyMike at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 08:36:17 MDT 2012

Stu:

Check out Rockauto.com.  THey list a starter that in photos looks like  the
exact MG TD starter.

Michael Balahutrak
Houston, TX
______________________

In a message dated 3/10/2012 4:33:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
simbafish at comcast.net writes:

Has  anyone installed in their TD the modern starter made by Gustafsen
Machine  of Glouchester, MA?

WHY?  Some of you have followed the mystery of  my starter problem; why the
gnashing of starter pinion and ring gear teeth,  originally quite infrequent
but now more prevalent. After an investigative  search, I eventually
discovered that the ring gear had been installed  BACKWARDS (beveled teeth
facing FORWARD), presumably in Jan 2000 when the  engine was rebuilt by a
local mechanic. To correct this error would mean  engine out and engine in,
the unbolt and rebolt of gearbox to engine which  would give opportunity for
chipped paint, pinched wires, worn out bolt  threads and miscellaneous,
unexplainable woes. There is an alternative  solution (note: my TD is
already
modified with 5 speed tranny, etc.). There  is a modern starter made by
Gustafsen Machine that approaches the ring gear  from the FRONT, not the
rear
like the Lucas starter. This should work well  with my ring gear installed
backwards. I have heard some good reports about  these starters in other
British cars but does anyone know how well they  perform in a TD? Curious
before I go this route.

Stu Keen
1951  MGTD  MKII

Mg-t at autox.team.net