[Mg-t] Oil shields on XPAG valves

Richard Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 07:34:30 MDT 2013

Hello Friends,

While the primer is curing on my TD's wheels, I went back to the
engine.  This morning I cleaned the oil shields (can't remember what
the manual calls them) and took a picture to illustrate the
differences in them.  Here it is.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1376.JPG

My question is: Are these a mixture of parts that some previous
rebuilder pulled from his M.G. parts bin, or did M.G. mix up parts
from this '53 XPAG with parts for the new 1500cc engine, being built
the same year?  I know Jaguar used new style parts on previous
generation motors as that line finished, and visa versa.  Some new
engines got the left-overs from the previous runs - all when on the
cusp of  a change.  The more important question is: Should I reuse
these parts or buy a few replacements?  Or buy a whole new set?  The
budget is already strained...

Thanks, as always,

-rick