[Mg-t] XPAG valve clearance

Richard Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Sun May 5 09:53:46 MDT 2013

Hi Friends,

Please share your thoughts on valve clearance of a cold XPAG/TD2 engine.
 In short, what I am wondering is what clearance I should use on a freshly
rebuilt engine, to get it hot enough to do a proper HOT engine valve
clearance setting.  I believe the hot clearance on the later engines is
0.012" so I'm guessing that 0.018" or so cold, would be fine for the
initial warm-up.  I'd much rather suffer valve chatter for a few minutes,
than have the clearance close up due to linear expansion.  Your thoughts?

-rick

PS: No, I'm nowhere near that point.  Its just a question dancing around in
my scattered mind this morning...