[Mg-t] XPAG valve clearance

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Sun May 5 19:17:01 MDT 2013

Hi Rick,
   If you know with certainty that the camshaft in the engine is original, its
safe to set clearances as directed by MG. if you are not certain which, of
several once-available cams it is, then identifying it will be necessary.
   The .019 clearance for the earlier cam is plenty loose, so you can set that
cold then adjust again hot. The .012 for the later cam could, one supposes, be
set a thou or two loose initially, then adjusted hot, though I can't recall
anyone doing that.
   Mine is a Crane cam that was so noisy that i called Crane. The engineer
said that the instruction clearance was for hard running and racing, and to
use smaller clearances for normal driving.  I forget what they are, but can
look them up for you if needed.
   Some do the first start with only one spring per valve.
Bob