[Mg-t] TD running board treads

Scott Fisher sfisher71 at yahoo.com
Mon May 13 10:27:24 MDT 2013

> I'm thinking I should leave them in place, mask them off before primer
and
> paint, then install the new rubber treads after the paint cures.

When I
used to put together 1/24-scale cars instead of 1/1-scale, I learned a Great
Truth:

The eye can see where the brush can't reach.

There is a time and
place for masking carefully and painting "in situ," and this isn't it, not
with everything else you're doing to the car. Aside from it being The Right
Thing, it will probably take less time. Every time I try to take a shortcut,
it causes so many other issues that I usually give up and do it the right way.
I've finally learned to do that right off the bat.

Take 'em off, brush and
polish to the finish you like, but paint the running boards with the
al-you-minnie-um tread bits off the car, then install them.

--Scott Fisher

The Last Homely House East of the Sea
  Tualatin, Oregon