[Mg-t] What's a Whit worth?

Charles Hill chillmog at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 26 22:59:27 MDT 2013

Scott,
You are in for quite an education.

Almost everything on the TD should be British Standard Fine (BSF).  A
lot of people call them Whitworth but Whitworth is a coarse thread while
BSF is of course a fine thread.  The use the same set of wrenches but
usually the BSF wrench is one size smaller than the Whitworth for the
corresponding size bolt.  For example, a 1/4 Whitworth and a 5/16 BSF
use the same size wrench as the wrenches are marked according to the
size of the bolt, not the size of the bolt head.  To confuse you even
more, the XPAG engine in the TD is a metric engine.  All the fasteners
are metric - mostly 8 or 10mm but the heads are machined to fit British
wrenches.

Here is the chart you are looking for:
http://www.britishfasteners.com/images/nuts_bolts_key.pdf

British Fasteners also has a good selection of British tools and
fasteners at reasonable prices and very good service.

Charles Hill