[Mgb-v8] MGB V-8

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 02:07:41 MDT 2008

Costello didn't start producing his V8 conversions until the early 70s, and
they were both GTs and roadsters.  They had the carbs in the middle of the Vee
and the bonnet bulge, at least until Abingdon started producing their own.
AFAIK the gearbox came after he stopped producing the cars.  Sounds a bit of a
'bitsa' now, and despite the Costello plate (if genuine) I doubt it would be
worth much more than any conversion, even in the UK original Costello cars
don't command much of a premium, apparently.

But have you seen http://www.themgdoc.com/all_about_john.htm?  About John
Mangles who worked on "what was probably the first commercial V8 conversion
project performed in the area (St Louis)" with Ken Costello who happened to be
staying with him at the time.  No date given, but the implication is that it
was post 1986 which would explain the plenum and the gearbox.  It's possible
Ken gave him a plate as a result.  Includes a link to photos of a Green
roadster with Minilite-type wheels!  Could even be the car, in which case it
would be unique and of value interest-wise although still only worth what
someone will pay for it.  If John Mangles is still around he should be able to
confirm or deny and give you a lot more info if it is.

PaulH.