[Mgb-v8] Alternator Questions

The Rays therays at ellijay.com
Tue Sep 9 12:00:04 MDT 2008

After driving my V8-B for a 50 miles or more, it begins to sputter as though
it might be loosing fuel pressure and starving for gas.  I have checked the
fuel flow and dont see any change in the amount of fuel in fuel filter
bowl.  I also have to let it sit until it cools down before it will
re-start.  I can connect a booster battery and it will fire up without any
drag.

I have suspicion that my alternator may not be charging as it should.  I
have taken several readings using my multi-meter, getting different readings
each time.  All this has left me very confused.  I am hoping someone out
there can help me figure out what mat be happening.

First I took a reading from the third terminal down on the left side front
row of the fuse panel.  I chose this spot because I have my voltmeter
connected to the brown/white wire there.  The reading I got was 11.4 volts.
My second reading was taken at the positive & negative terminals of the coil
where I got 7.4 volts.  The third reading, which was .08 volts, came from
output terminal of the alternator.  One a final note, the voltmeter never
reads past the red line, which I assume is an indicator that the alternator
is below 12 volts.

Any help in solving my problem will be greatly appreciated.

Jim Ray
1980 MGB V8/T35 Automatic