[Mgb-v8] Alternator question

Richard Morris Richard.Morris at cox.net
Sat Sep 20 09:09:16 MDT 2008

If after you charge a battery and see low voltage, then read on.

Dead cells in batteries cause the voltage to drop by about 1.5 volts for
each dead cell. That's pretty easy to spot with a voltmeter.

And no amount of charging will revive a dead cell since it's shorted
out.

If you were to run a battery down by leaving lights on, etc, it's
voltage can be well below 10. But it's low because of the drain. Try
recharge and then check voltage. A nice hot, charged battery will be
well over 12.0 right off the charger and no load.

Richard