[Mgb-v8] Fuel regulator for MGB GT V8

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 01:49:05 MDT 2008

As Theo says regarding fuel pressure, and an SU is very unlikely to have
overwhelmed any float valve I would have said, it's normally after-market
pumps that cause the problem.  However black smoke does imply way over-rich to
me, and possibly the fuel smells as well, although once the engine is running
that would normally be leaks, if it were so rich it wasn't burning all the
fuel it would probably choke the engine to death.

I'd check that float chamber vent is clear (it should be piped down past the
engine), and if I can make so bold also suggest you confirm you have the fuel
inlet on the correct port and not the vent, as both problems will cause
grossly rich mixtures.  However the other symptom of these, or float valves
leaking, is the SU pump ticking when it shouldn't be.  With the engine stopped
and the ignition on an SU pump shouldn't tick more than once every 30 secs,
once float chambers are fully charged.  If it ticks more often either there is
a leak in the pipework between pump and carb, the float valve isn't closing
for reason, which includes the above two errors as well as simply a leaking
valve.  It is also a symptom of the supply-side non-return valve leaking back,
but that will only cause fuel starvation at high speeds, and only when very
bad.

All this, plus possibly the wrong jets for the application, or some other
problem with the carb - leaking accelerator pump?

PaulH.