[Mgb-v8] Batteries

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Thu Oct 24 01:17:29 MDT 2013

I don't really see how a battery being sick can damage a starter by itself.
The only thing I can think of at the moment is that for whatever reason the
engine wouldn't start, and you just kept cranking and cranking, burning out
either the solenoid or the motor, which would be 'user misoperation'!  Oh
yes, and another is that it's been cooked from heat from the right-hand
down-pipe, because the heat-shield is either missing or inadequate.  My
standard starter failed - solenoid gradually lost it's mojo - which is a
symptom of this heat damage.  The heat shield was only a tin plate,
originally OK when it was shiny both sides I suppose, but as develops
surface rust the amount of heat it radiates towards the starter gets more
and more.  I fitted one from Clive Wheatley which was a rigid, shaped board
of heat insulation material about 3/16" thick.

PaulH.