[Mgs] Moss Big Brake Kit

WSpohn4 at aol.com WSpohn4 at aol.com
Thu Aug 2 16:54:43 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/2/2007 10:14:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
doddk at mossmotors.com writes:

I  suggest that we all go out and do a brake trial on a deserted section
of  highway. Based on experience, you will find that under progressive
braking,  the front brakes do not lock up first.

The next trial is to do some  hard downhill driving and note how much
fade the stock brake system  experiences.

Moss initiated design of the big brake kit after  installing the
supercharger system on their 1973 MGB. The road testers were  a bit
concerned about flogging the car with the stock brakes  especially
following some brake fade issues driving over Hwy 154 and 150.
____________________________________

Kelvin, just a follow-up to my previous note.

The bias inequity between stock front and rear was apparent to the  factory
and they specified a different rear wheel cylinder to rectify the  problem back
in the production period.  That is why the rears lock before  the rears, not
because of any inadequacy in the brake specification of the front  brakes.

Similarly, the fronts fading has nothing to do with design - it is  entirely
a function of what pads you use. As I pointed out in my previous note,  if you
want to run them down mountains at speed, you better stick some better  pads
in there. I understand that vendors like that Moss Motors place offer quite  a
variety of different pads...:-)

Bill S.