[Mgs] what wood for seat supports

Malcolm Jeffcock msjeffcock at eastlink.ca
Thu Aug 2 20:05:58 MDT 2007

Hello Max and all others:
                                           When I restored my B (which came
in bits and boxes) I  reproduced 4 new ones so  I took the one I had left
which was in less than ideal shape to a lumber yard. The staff had lots of
opinions most settled on either oak or ash and then a good debate between
red vs. white oak (like I said the one I had was in less than ideal
condition. After getting opinions I made mine from oak. This spring I
replaced my seat mounting bolts so had a chance to look at the wood after
fours years of use---they were the same as the day I put them in except for
some colour change where the tracks rested.
                                                Bottom line I'd choose oak
again...

                                        Malcolm

Malcolm