[Mgs] Overdrive Numbers

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Tue Jan 15 15:52:52 MST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008, at 2:32 PM, Charles & Peggy Robinson wrote:

>    Tell John Twist.  He thinks overdrives are strictly "feel good"
> add-ons.

That corresponds to my anecdotal experience.

Dads 1978 MGB got 28-31 MPG @ 70 mph on extended trips.  It had no
overdrive and ran all day at 4000 rpm (or more, I don't remember the
exact figure).

My 1975 MGB gets 26-30 MPG on the same trips.  It has overdrive and
runs at say 3500 rpm.

The '78 had a 25D distributor and a downdraft weber and was recently
rebuilt (less than 20K miles).  The '75 has a 45D with pertronix and
dual SUs, but is pretty tired.  I need to get over and buy dad's car,
if only for the engine.

My experience says the OD doesn't matter one bit regarding mileage,
but when my OD broke and would not engage, it was disquieting for me
to listen to the engine at the higher revs--even though I knew it was
just fine.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]