[Mgs] MGB color codes

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Mon Oct 8 10:53:47 MDT 2012

In previous emails from a few weeks ago, I mentioned the rear end collision of
my 64B. The other driver admitted fault and her insurance company has agreed
to repair the damage. However, they are balking at the $2400 estimate and want
to inspect the car at the body shop. So tomorrow I will be taking the car in.
Granted, there were a few things on the estimate that are a bit excessive - 1
hour for top removal comes to mind, another is time for mixing paint to get
the right color. I figured I would get the color code off the Teglerizer site
but I am getting a server 500 error.

A little searching and I came to this, which I believe is Paul Hunt's site:
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/paint.htm

It confirms what I think is the correct answer - that the car is probably
tartan red. This site indicates that was the red in use in 1964. Is that the
only choice of red in 1964? I figured I could give the body shop the Dupont
and PPG color codes to start with.

David Councill
64 MGB
72 MGB