[Mgs] backing up shudder

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Sat Jun 20 14:39:03 MDT 2015

  Welcome back to the judder club.    In the TD, causes can be all you listed:   Front mount-possible, I suppose you could use a pry bar gently and life engine to see if rubber has un-stuck from the metal. Originals lasted 50 years. Today's improved replacements about 1/5 of that. Lift gently, though, as you don't want to cause separation if it has not already happened.  Stabiliser-check that movement of engine is about 1/8 inch, which is about the "give" in the rubbers. If more, look further, to adjusting the bar if there is evidence that the turnbuckle has moved (not likely), and inspection of the rubbers.   Transmission mount--from underneath, push up and pull down on the gearbox tail or at the flange. There should not be much movement. If the rubbers are bulged and cracked, they may be bad. Changing them is not complicated, but can be time taking and messy. Oil mess from engine is usual cause of their deterioration, though. No need to remove it; just shove the gearbox around to judge free movement, of which there should be less than 1/8 inch.   Axle U bolts--the usual cause. If you have not already installed those wear plates on top of the axle, remove one bolt and feel for groove worn where the U bolt passes over axle tube. Buy a pair of the wear plates if there is any groove, and not a bad thing to have them installed anyway. MGA and later had them on the axles from new.  Best of luck finding it--this can be a challenge. I have been chasing it for a decade.Bob