[Mgs] Question on MGB Light Switches

Jack Wheeler jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 16:52:14 MST 2016

I have a 1971 MGB that has a problem with the headlight switches.  Before I start replacing everything and hope for the best, I thought I would ask if any of you has had a similar problem, or can suggest a possible solution.
When I push bottom of the light switch (on the dash) to the first position, the parking lamps and tail lights come on.  OK, so far.  When I push the light switch to the second position, the headlights come on with the low beam.  OK, again.  Now comes the problem.
When I move the stalk on the left side of the steering column forward (toward the dash), the lights go off (i.e. no high beams).  If I pull this stalk all the way towards me, the high beams do come on, so the bubs are apparently OK.
My first thought was that it may be the high beam/low beam and direction indicator switch located on the steering column.  Does this sound right?  Any other thoughts?
And finally, if this is the case, is this switch available, and if so, do you have a source you would recommend.
Thanks for your help.
Jack Wheeler