[Mgs] MGB Carb Qs

Charley & Peggy Robinson ccrobins at ktc.com
Tue Dec 26 10:22:39 MST 2017

See below:
On 12/26/2017 5:45 AM, daybell7--- via Mgs wrote:
> I plan to replace the weber (45DCOE) with HS4s on my 1968 GT.  The
> needles are bent and a float is missing.  Is it reasonable to expect
> success by replacing these parts (and maybe jets and float valves),
> after a good cleaning?  What needles and jets?

     It would be a good idea to send the carbs off to a rebuilder. They
would know what's needed.
> I have shiny carb air cleaners to use on my 1972 Roadster with HIFs,
> but when I replace the stock air cleaners, the car bogs and won’t
> accept the throttle.  Should I change jets? What jets?
     Sounds like the filters are clogged.  Clean or replace the filter
elements and try again.

> Should a car start without choking?  Is that a indication of a rich
> mixture if it does?  I have a car with HS6s that fouls the plugs when
> I start it and move it in and out of the garage, but don’t drive it.
> The car needs choked to start but once started the choke can be
> relieved immediately.  Do I have a mixture issue?  Do I need a meter?
      Are the jets free to move up & down?  Sounds like they are but
don't move far enough up when the choke is pushed in.
     Could be a matter of jet adjustment.   If it's fouling the plugs
with dry black residue it's running rich.  If the residue on the plugs
is wet & oily the rings are leaking.

> The weber runs rich and, I suppose, can be corrected changing jets.
> Can anyone point me in the right direction in all this?  Maybe a
> supplier that has explanations?
      You seem to have a fixation on the jets.  The Weber running rich
could be a matter of the float height or a leaking float.
      Is there a MG club in you area?  You need a knowledgeable person
to look at all of your carbs.