[Mgs] Gas tank woes

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Tue Sep 26 14:24:01 MDT 2017

Joseph Cianciotti via Mgs wrote:
> My MGB was awakened recently after an unintended 10-year nap. (Thanks
> Rich!) One of the unfortunate consequences is crud in the gas tank.
> After I fill the gas tank, the fuel filter gets clogged with
> rust-colored sludge and we're limping down the road with the engine
> coughing and backfiring. Is there a fast/easy/inexpensive way to flush
> the tank? Any other thoughts or sage advice are welcome. Thanks

I've got similar toothmarks on my butt.  I ended up pulling the tank
(you have to dispose of the bad gas), then coating it with a special
goop to cover up the rust.  At the very least, you would want to slosh
some rust mort (phosphoric acid I believe) around in the tank, and let
it sit for a while to convert the rust to something more benign.

--
Larry Colen  lrc at red4est.com (postbox on min4est) http://red4est.com/lrc