[Mgs] Dash Light Problem 72 MGB

daybell7 at aol.com daybell7 at aol.com
Sat Sep 1 07:03:30 MDT 2018

Thanks for the help on my dash lights.

Once I bypassed the rheostat, the gages shine brightly; although, none of the gages work.

I have power to the voltage stabilizer, so suspect the fuel gage sending unit is defective.  I have one to replace it.

Not sure about the temperature gage, but do see where the wire attaches to the motor.

The tach won’t register more than 3k RPM, regardless of the speed or engine revs.

I replaced the speedo cable and the needle jumped around until it finally stopped.

I have a 1968 GT that I intend to test switches and gages and intermingle with the 1972 MG.

I have to replace the fan switch in the 1972.  It appears that crushing is the best method for removal.

The primary problem with the 1972 is performance.  I think it’s the HIF carbs, not getting air or a jet/float clogged/stuck.  On the highway, getting to a constant speed, the car runs strong.  Once cruising, say at 60-65 MPH, the car will miss.  All I have to do is press the pedal and it clears up and is strong.  It just does it in 4th gear.

In the meantime, I got my TR6 out and am trying to figure out the dimmer/turn signal switch.  Retirement is great with always lots to do.

Thanks again for the dash light help.

Steve Hughes

Gainesville, FL