[Mgs] My O/D arrived!

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Wed Nov 27 01:53:27 MST 2019

I assume this is a gearbox complete with OD, and not just an OD.  Quite a bit of work to add an OD to a non-OD box.

As mentioned earlier if it's a blue label OD then it's the correct OD for a rubber bumper B, regardless.  There was no difference in the OD itself between earlier rubber bumpers and 77 and later, only in the electrical switching which is all external to the OD itself.  You have the choice of whether to put the original lever back and have the manual switch somewhere else, or source a 77 and later lever with switch in the knob.

If it's off a pre-77 then it will give you OD in 3rd and 4th, but if off a 77 or later then probably on 4th only.  If the sub-harness has come with the gearbox then that will give you a clue as there were connections for both the lockout and manual switches on 77 and later, but only for the lockout switch before that.  More info on selector levers and plungers that control that here http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/gswitch.htm#3

Do you have TCSA now?  Do you need to keep it for emissions reasons?  That may determine whether you can have OD on 3rd and 4th or will need to restrict it to 4th only.

PaulH.