[Mgs] Shims

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Mon Sep 2 07:21:00 MDT 2019

'Floating' calipers as used on the MG ZS 180 for example do only have a piston one side.  When the pad that side contacts the disc the body of the caliper is pushed back, on sliding pins mounted on a fixed carrier.  The caliper wraps round the disc to pull the other pad against the other side of the disc.  I had my doubts about the sliding pins, but despite a number of corroded parts on my 14 year-old ZS - far more than on my 40 year old MGBs - those haven't yet given me problems, it has been the pistons themselves, as on the MGB calipers.

PaulH.