[Mgs] Seat Belts

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Wed Aug 26 01:32:50 MDT 2020

Didn't get the original of this (which happens from time to time) but seat belts can have two methods of locking.  One is when the car tilts or decelerates more than a certain amount, the other is if the belt is yanked out of the reel fast enough, and not all belts have both.

You have to be careful with replacements - the length of the tunnel piece can vary as there were two mounting positions several inches apart, and they can be either belts in a plastic sheath (original in some years), stiff steel cable in a plastic sheath (later and better), but the worst are plain belts where the buckle can drop out of sight.

Some reels are advertised as being suitable for mounting at any angle as they have adjusters on them to ensure the belts lock correctly, which they do, but need special brackets on the MGB especially on top of the arches in a GT.

PaulH.