[Mgs] Starters

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Wed Jan 22 07:57:17 MST 2020

Yes and no.  Fitted it and turned the key and just got a whirr, heart sank as it sounded like the pinion wasn't engaging ... then the engine burst into life!  They really do fulfil all the claims made for them - less load on the battery, faster cranking, easier starting and less noise.  The only down-side is the cost being about three times that for a standard starter for the MGB at least.  The problem I had was it was an early one and the starter was only attached to the adapter plate with three self-tappers and some super-glue!  Needless to say it came apart in about a week and I replaced it with a conventional.

You do have to be careful with the term 'hi-torque' though.  Some vendors use this term for a modern version of a NON-geared starter.  They are slightly better all round than the originals but not as good as the geared.  However for the MGB in the UK they are even cheaper than a rebuilt original as they are used on dozens of makes and models.

With geared starters the solenoid is huge and in line with the pinion - look for the battery cable stud, it is the motor that is on the side and not much bigger.  With non-geared hi-torque the motor is in line with the pinion as normal, but smaller, and the solenoid is on the side and much smaller but about the same size as on the original starters.

You also have to check the number of pinion teeth is compatible, and a pre-engaged 'push' starter can be used to replace an inertia starter on the MGB at least.

One thing if you have a ballasted ignition system is does an alternative starter have the correct bypass contact on the solenoid?  Geared tend not to, non-geared tend to.  It's not a show-stopper, and alternative arrangements can be made if you need it.

PaulH.