[Mgs] Jaeger Dual Gauge Modern Replacement Accuracy & Calibration

Robert J. Guinness guinness at stclegal.com
Mon Jul 20 08:39:53 MDT 2020

I bought a new "Jaeger" dual gauge for my MGA  from a vendor in
England.  It looks great, but before I installed it, I wanted to test
it.  I realize these are not precise instruments, but I was hoping at
least be close to 212 (deg. F) at boiling without pressure.  I placed
the entire bulb into boiling water (without touching the pot) at roughly
sea level (453′).  I have tested original dual gauges this way and they
all behaved as expected being near or at 212 when the water was
roiling.  I also had a candy thermometer in the pot as a verification.
The new gauge never got over a hairs width beyond 190.  The candy
thermometer showed the correct 212 at a vigorous boil.  I performed the
test again hoping the gauge was just "stuck" being that it was new.  I
got the same result.  As the water temperature increased, the gauge
appeared to read a somewhat consistent 20 degrees cooler than the candy
thermometer.

I called the vendor and they intimated that I was crazy to test it the
way I did.  Am I?  Is there a better way to test it without installing
it?  Or is installation and an infrared thermometer a preferable way to
test it.  Someone else suggested that you should simply move the needle
to 212 at boiling.  But that is rather inelegant and the gauge would not
should these gauges be, anyway?

Is there anyway I can salvage this unit without sending it back? Am I
expecting too much?

Thanks.

--
e-mail signature