Sunday October 16 Ride Report

Jacuzzi jacuzzi2313@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 06:36:20 -0700 (PDT)

It was the first rainless day it what seemed like weeks.  We had taken some 17 inches of rain over the past seven days, and now it was time to ride.  The wind was blowing pretty hard, not a good day to be riding a light bike.

My first stop was at Levine's Automotive to pick up a replacement bulb for Mark's Rebel.  After that I took the local streets on my way to Marcus Dairy.  Forgetting how easily Danbury floods, I came upon an intersection on Lake Avenue that was submerged.  You know, I never thought about why it was named Lake Avenue until now....  Anyway, there was a raised sidewalk that no one was using....

Met Sean at Marcus, but he had to do the dad thing.  Met Rudy there shortly afterwards.  We had planned on doing some riding, but didn't really have a plan.  We started off south on Rt. 7 through Ridgefield and into Redding where we picked up a cross route that would take us back on Rt. 58.  Nothing too fancy, just a short run till noon for a stop at the open house at HD.  On the way, I saw two stone dog statues that were well cared for by their owners.  Each dog wore a bright yellow rain slicker.

The Danbury HD Open House was prett much what was expected, a band, lot's of bikes and noise, and free food.  Rudy and I stopped to buy some raffle tickets for a college scolarship for the kids of a fellow rider that was killed by a drunk driver.  We met some friends as well.  Brian Belzinsky sends his regards to his friends at Photronics.  I ran into another friend Ray, who said that Michele Smith was at Cliff's BMW.

Michele was very friendly, she spent time talking with everyone who stopped by.  Rudy spent some time talking Triumphs, he has an early '70's Trident that is midst restoration.  Ran into Mark Zimmerman there too, he writes for Motorcycle Cruiser.

>From there we went into New York, met up with Dan, a friend of Rudy's.  Dan rides a 05 Road King, numbered paint set, wheels off a Custom, chromed lower fork legs, 103 inch Screaming Eagle kit, ape hangers, you know, your basic run of the mill Harley....NOT.

Found out that New York has some nice back roads as well.  All along the way, we were amazed at how rapid and swollen tributaries were.  Many of the small streams you wouldn't notice, were now roaring rapids.  We took a loop around Lake Waramaug in Warren Connecticut, and saw boat houses partially submerged.

By now we were in need of some rest and a refreshment.  The Marbledale Pub was available to satisfy those needs.  Fortunately they also have Hacker-Psorr Oktoberfest on tap.  Many stories were shared, during which my cell phone indicated I had a message.  Now cell phone messages are never good when the phone is a company phone and you don't recognise the number.  I stepped outside to get a better signal and discovered that I was the grand prize winner of a Leather Jacket from the raffle earlier that day!

Jacuzzi #2313
Molon Labe