May I?

Curtis Jenkins curtis_j@pacbell.net
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:07:44 -0700 (PDT)

*I* am happy that you are here, as well.  Great to hear from you, Hubert!

CJ

Hubert Few <hfc687@comcast.net> wrote:
Hello Group,

My name is Hubert and I live in the metropolitan Atlanta area.

I ride a Suzuki DL1000, also known as the "V-Strom".

Mine is yellow, an 03 model with approx. 22K miles on it. In the last six
months I have probably only put 2K miles on it. Changing priorities I guess.

I used to work for a large corporation doing something I didn't like, I
don't anymore. Depending on the day of the week and my frame of mind, If I
were asked, "What do you do for a living" I am likely to reply "I'm
unemployed" of "self-employed" or "I do yard work" or "I'm an inventor".

I mention this because the question seems to occupy an inordinate amount of
parking space in my mental parking deck as to just what the heck it is "I do".

Fair to say, like all humans, I am a "work in progress".

One of my Patron Saints, Jim Gammon, mentioned your list in passing during
an unrelated communication. He described it as "mellow". I seem to be
reaching a point in my life where "mellow" works.

What is really unique about this list, judging by the roster of
participants, is that I have personally met nearly everyone here at one
time or another. One noteable exception being Curtis Jenkins. I hope to
have that pleasure as well one day.

Curtis. Something about our circumstances seems to doom any attempts at
telephone conversations. I'm really not much of a "phone talker" anyway.

I read some of the messages from Sept. in the archives. I see that folks
here are as concerned about the issues raised by a couple of really potent
hurricanes as I am. To say that I have been pre-occupied with it would be a
gross understatement!

I recently acquired a 1990 Ford F-150 "XLT Lariat" club cab:....I guess one
of our yard customers took pity on my wife and I working out of the back of
the Ford Escort and turned us on to the whereabouts of this
truck....original owner, 59K miles which had mostly been sitting in their
yard gathering leaves and such. I immediately saw it for the "diamond in
the rough" that it is! The older couple that owned it was having to
liquidate some assets for the simple reason that they no longer drive.
After a couple of weeks of less than intense bargaining we agreed on a
price, which was about half of what the truck is actually worth... $2300. I
knew how much I could afford to pay for it and apparently selling it to
someone "worthy" weighed into the decision to part with it. They also have
a late model Lincoln if anyone is shopping for such a thing!

here's a picture:

http://home.comcast.net/~hfc687/misc/f1505.jpg

Taken before I cleaned it up and rubbed out a lot of "dead" paint.

I mention the truck because it is one of the really really good things to
happen around here lately.
I love driving it....it has the optional 5.8L (351 windsor) engine (IT
loves to drink gas!) and it sure beats the hell out of loading and
unloading a mower, backpack blower, weedeater, etc etc out of the back of
the car!

Due to it's thirst for gasoline it's pretty much a "work only" vehicle,
even tho I drive it very slowly.

Well, this is about the best I can do when I really don't have anything to
say.

Happy to be here.

Hubert