[Morgans] Another try! (part 2 of 2)

John T. Blair jblair1948 at cox.net
Wed Nov 14 14:43:15 MST 2007

The tow home of about 3/4 mi in a neighbor hood was uneventful.  So we push
the Morgan into his garage.  He decides it's lunch time and we should run
up to the sub shop.  Well there just happens to be an AutoZone and a
BAP/Geon in the shopping center.  So we hit both the autoparts stores looking
for point, condenser, rotor button and dist. cap.  Neither place has them.
So off to the sub shop.  I realized some time during this outing that I have
a Purtrox ignition system in the back of the Morgan.

So after lunch we proceed to install it.  This turned into a little more
work that I was thinking it would be.  First I had to remove the old points
set, and condenser.  That was easy.  Then mount the reluctor plate.  It fit
perfectly, and uses 2 screw into the original mounting plate were the points
fit.  Then place their magnet on the dist. shaft, replace the rotor button,
and dist. cap.  Now is when the fun began.  Not really a problem, but just
a pain.  They had a bullet connector on one of the wires for the reluctor,
and an eyelet one the other wire.  Well, I needed a female spade to connect
to my coil.  So I cut off their connector, and got a spade connector crimped
and soldered it.  Then I had to cut off the bullet connector and replace it
with a male spade connector to connect to the female connector that was
attached to the coil.  Then you have to add 1 wire.  I initially used a
set of clip leads and got the car running.  Then I measured how long a piece
of wire I'd need.  Cut a piece of wire, and installed female spade connector
at one end, and a large eyelet to the other to connect to one of the bolts
atf the motor mount, where the main ground strap is.

Once the electrical hook up was finished, the car fired right up.  So now
we park it for another day.

One of these days, I may get a chance to get her out on the road. :)

I guess I'd better order a set of pionts, condenser, rotor button, dist.
cap, and  another petrox system.  That way not matter what happens I'll
be able to fix her on the road next time. :)

You all have a great weekend.  And if I don't talk to you all before
have Happy Thanksgiving, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!!

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229