[Nobbc] Saturday Drive

Ron Engelhardt nobbc at sonic.net
Fri Jan 9 18:48:51 MST 2009

The first time I had it done I insisted on a core that was identical to
the original although they warned me it wasn't a good idea as the MGA
tanks leave little room for solder. It lasted quite a while but did
eventually start seeping where the core was soldered to the top tank. So
the next time, I followed advice and put in the "modern" style core. I
don't really recall the difference, maybe more rows, but it STILL looked
like the original only functioned better. I'm sure they were both made
of brass. They even soldered on the original works brass tag. I'm very
happy with the job they did and also with radiators they did for other
cars I've had including one with a plastic (of all things!) radiator. In
my younger days, I can remember taking a torch, wire brush, solder and
patching radiators...what a pain, better left to the experts. Dutton
even paints the radiator the correct color (black for the MGA) for you.
They look better than new when you pick them up and the prices have
always seemed reasonable. Maybe we need a list of recommended vendors on
the website with member reviews. I would certainly nominate Dutton
Radiator, Ron Wheeler, and Monroe Tire!

Ron
58 MGA