[Nobbc] car corral

Clif & Deborah Williamson hawkview at sonic.net
Fri Aug 20 18:55:03 MDT 2010

Hello all.
Well we just got back from our little Friday IRL event.  We did have a good
time but the IRL practice laps were pretty much a waste of time.  Started
out OK with most of the cars on the track, but by lap five we were down to 4
or 5 and by lap 10 the track was empty.  I had talked to some of the
mechanics and it seems practice is game the drivers and teams play with each
other trying to physic each other.
For the few minutes they were out there it was unbelievable.  These cars are
like rockets.  600 horses on an 1600 pound frame.   They just scream.
In the garage area it was all action with mechanics and managers running
around prepping the cars.  No drivers to be seen until just before the
practice.  Deborah snuck in and I got a picture of her with Danica Patrick.
Deb is rather small but Danica is tiny, and really cute by the way.  Mario
was standing there watch the Danica show and I convinced Deb to jump the
rope for anther picture.  She did it and he was really nice.  Of course a
bunch more idiots tried to do the same thing and it became a cluster mess.
He is a really cool.
Not being a big race fan, I didn't know that all Indy cars use the same
engine, a Honda, which I think really sucks.  I mean what kind of car racing
is that?  I do like the idea that it is about the driver, at least the top
five.
One of the more interesting things was the tech inspection area.  They have
gauges and jigs for checking just about every aspect of the car.  Really
cool.
Oh, and we parked at turn 3/4 and the view was terrible.   That is if you
are interested in watching the race.  Only about 40% of the track is
available because of the hills and grandstand.  OH well.  Spent most of the
race watching time in the grandstand because it was close to the garage.  I
still think turns 9/10 are best for viewing.
So all in all we had a great time.   Hope all who are going this weekend
have a great time.
I think our next race trip will be to the Pinks All Out drag racing event.
For those interested it's Sept 17/18.  Haven't been to the drags for about
30 years.
Later,
Clif and Deborah
74 Jensen Healey