[Nobbc] DMV advice

Andrew S. Doran andrewdoran at berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 22 16:27:39 MDT 2010

Dear list,

I have had my 1979 Triumph declared as non operating for the past year. It
was last registered in 1998 and as a result was not in their database. I
had to have the police inspect it and then for the DMV recreate it in
their database. During this process (which took a number of trips to the
DMV) I asked, (as recommended) to keep the original California Blue/Yellow
plates and license number. I was told this was not allowed and issued with
a new license plate number. They did not take the plates from me. Now a
year later I received a form to register it, or do nothing and keep it
non-operational. I paid my $82 to register and sent in my forms. It did
not ask me to have the car smogged as the registration forms for my other
car did. Several months later I received an incomplete registration form
for the Triumph with orders to obtain a smog test. The form states that I
should mail the bdetachmentb with proof of certification.

Where do I go from here? I do not have license plates with my new license
number on it so I am assuming that I need some form of temporary operator
permit to go and take the smog test at which point I would receive plates
and stickers in the mail? Does anyone know how I get the Temporary
Operator permit since on-line at the DMV it states the following:

Vehicle owner must present the failed smog test report as evidence that
the vehicle failed a biennial smog certification when requesting a TOP.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr36.htm

Regards,

Andrew, '79 Spitfire. Richmond, CA