[Nobbc] Today's drive

Daniel Drummond dan at drummondlaw.com
Mon Jan 17 11:36:57 MST 2011

Greg,

I had the guys at British European in Cotati quarterback the project.  They sent the distributor back it to some guy in North Carolina for the rebuild.  While the car was in the shop, Mark noticed a coolant leak and traced it to a leaking middle (of three) freeze plug.  We both thought it a pretty unusual problem, especially, as you said, for a fresh rebuild and in an area not known for freezing temperatures.  So I had him replace the plug and as luck would have it, that's the one that gave way out in Jenner.  Steam and coolant everywhere. What a mess.  Hate seeing big clouds of steam coming up from under the bonnet. Thank goodness for AAA and a friendly farm house (no cell phone coverage out there).  Mark was appropriately chagrined that his new plug didn't hold and put in another one using some JB Weld to help keep it sealed.  Lest anyone think otherwise, Mark is great to work with and mistakes do happen from time to time.  No charge for the second repair of course.  So far everything seems to be holding up.  This weekend's ride was a good test and all went well.

Yes, the return ride was a bit lively as I was trying to catch Ron and John.  Let it be known, however, that I had both of them in my sights before a slow moving pick-up brought everything to a crawl.  :)

Dan