[Nobbc] More than you want to know about Minis

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 13:39:08 MST 2011

  Hey, not so fast there on the trigger, Clif.  ;-)  Before you lump us
MINI owners in with the BMW or Porsche clubs, here's what I just posted
to Gerry:

Minis are assembled at Plant Oxford
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_Oxford> in Cowley
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowley>, United Kingdom, where around
4,700 people are employed.^[2]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_%28BMW%29#cite_note-1> Engines for
Mini cars are produced at the Hams Hall Plant nearBirmingham
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham>, United Kingdom, which has
around 800 employees.^[3]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_%28BMW%29#cite_note-2> Mini
sub-assemblies and pressings such as doors are supplied by a plant in
Swindon <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swindon>, United Kingdom, where
around 1,000 people are employed.^[4]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_%28BMW%29#cite_note-3> Minis are
primarily developed in the United Kingdom by BMW's Development
Division.^[5] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_%28BMW%29#cite_note-4>
Around 217,000 Mini's were sold worldwide in 2009.^[6]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_%28BMW%29#cite_note-5>

RE: the designer of the MINI, no that wasn't John Cooper. He was a race
car developer who was, among many other accomplishments, asked to make a
beast out of the diminutive Mini back in the day. Nowadays, it's all
about branding, and who has the $$ to buy that brand and capitalize on
it. Think Jaguar, Mini, and sadly, even the Lotus F1 teams. Much to be
said about this sad subject.

I'll give rides to anyone in the MINI JCW - you won't really care what
it's called after that.

Cheers,
Greg