[Nobbc] More than you want to know about Minis

Mike Gianandrea mvg1 at att.net
Mon Jan 31 14:30:14 MST 2011

Well let me chime in here,

I do not clearly recall how it came to be, but BMW purchased the assets of
BMC some years ago, and produced the MINI, so the MINI is a british car
manufactured by BMW in their BMW factories, wherever. So I guess we can say
the MINI is a Gertish car. Following that lineage, I ran into a guy in a gas
station in Novato some years back, who drove a 1937 BMW convertable. I could
not readily identify the make of his car, I thought maybe a Mercedes? But it
was vaguely familiar to me, it took me a few minutes to think back to my
three 50's Jags. We started talking, he invited me back to his shop on lower
Grant Ave, where he showed me some other older cars he had stored, and told
me the history / relationship of BMW and Jaguar. As I was told, late in
World War II, during British raids on some German factories, some British
paratroopers raided a bombed out BMW factory, walking off with a great many
original BMW design drawings, some of which, included the familiar oval
shaped grills and long sloping butterfly fenders of the XK series and the Mk
I & II 3.4 and 3.8 model sedans. Upon close examination of his BMW, it
appeared to me that I could probably remove the grill from his car and
install it directly onto my 59 MK I  3.4 sedan, (Hummmmm) so the
relationship between BMW and BMC and the MINI would appear to go way back,
as it was told to me. Maybe one of our British club members can shed a
little more light on this. Andy, Anybody?

As it happened, this gentleman was president of a national BMW club, and
upon finding out the nature of my business, he had me mold up a reproduction
of an original BMW tool, kit sold with the older BMW's, which he sold to
club members, because, as many of us know, original equipment items for our
old cars can be next to impossible to find.

Michael
64 TR4