[Shop-talk] disassemble a light bulb?

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Sun Aug 5 10:45:23 MDT 2007

OK, time for Steve's strange question of the day.  I am interested in
making some light bulbs, by taking a standard light bulb base and
grafting other size/style bulbs or LEDs onto them.  These are mostly
small automotive type bulbs.  Light bulb bases are probably available
somewhere, but you probably have to buy them by the trailer
load.  For my use, it would probably be best to just start with a
bulb and remove the glass from the base.  So far, I have done this,
but it is rather labor intensive.  It involves breaking the glass and
lots of mechanical picking to clean out the base.  Does anyone have
any other ideas for how to break down that cement stuff to end up
with a clean base?  I have pulled really old bulbs out of cars where
that cement was just crumbling.  Apparently, light bulb manufacture
has improved and they use better cement now.  Thanks.

-Steven Trovato
strovato at optonline.net