[Shop-talk] engine building stand

David Scheidt dmscheidt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 18:17:55 MST 2007

On Dec 22, 2007 6:26 PM, Steve Shipley <shiples at comcast.net> wrote:
> At 10:48 AM 12/22/2007 -0600, john niolon wrote:

> One comment:  I use one of those generic stands and find it tough to
> rotate a Ford 351.  But I just use a longer bar.  The friction in the head
> keeps the engine in place once you've positioned it.  The pin is a safety
> device.

Every engine I've ever had on a stand has had preferred orientation.
Other positions require the use of the pin.  One thing that I've found
helpful in rotating engines is to have someone lift at the free end.
You don't need to lift the whol thing, but even putting 30 or 40 lbs
of upward force makes iut much easier to t urn.